Monday, March 24, 2014

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back - Initial Thoughts on D&D Next

image

      So about two weeks ago my usual gaming group decided to transition from 4th edition to D&D Next, which is the newest edition of Dungeons and Dragons that will be coming out sometime this summer. By many this is a welcome change as it has many of the features that 4th edition was missing, and has once again allowed players to really start to tweak specific elements and not have to follow a strict class structure. 

      However, I hope the play test materials are only scratching the surface of what the edition will entail. In general skills have been downplayed drastically, and everything has been minimized (HP and Damage of note). 

image

      I believe that much of this is to basically revert back to basics because of the drastic reaction 4th edition received. Most people really liked 3/3.5 edition and is why we have seen a whole new game based on essentially those rules (Pathfinder). 

      Will this new model be successful? It can be, and until then I’m going to enjoy trying to find as many ways as possible to break it (or rather test it out.) 

      …Well as long as my DM allows me to (ie. keeps me alive) 

No comments:

Post a Comment